Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Yesterday

As a little girl I used to just love the song "yesterday" . The emotion of missing something wonderful from your past was intriguing. When I was about 6, I would sit on the living room floor of our little stone house and listen to my mom's 55 mm record of "Yesterday" on my kids record player. My little inexperienced heart felt something of what they were singing about, the longing for something lost. I think I already missed being littler than I was. I knew that was a one time shot, that being a baby with no worries, only joy.
Our sweet Grandma Clark has been talking to me lately. She has trouble remembering who everyone is what we're doing from minute to minute. Once in awhile, she asks who my Dad (her son) is. He is the one who takes care of her everyday. Mostly she is happy. "What can you expect at 91?" she'll say looking for wood to knock on as she makes a funny face about it. She told me in a thoughtful, slightly embarrassed sort of voice that she enjoys watching TV and would like to live a little longer.
I took Clara in the bedroom and put this little white sweater on her. I'm pretty sure Grandma Clark made this for Annie when she was a baby, 30 years ago. I wanted to see if Grandma remembered it.
I told her I thought she made it and asked if she remembered it.

"Oh yes", she said in her quiety sort of remembering voice.

She continued, almost in a whisper, "I remember saying, 'oh, I must get that done'."

Don't you just love love the English Grandma expression in the picture where Clara is trying to do a hand stand. I'm afraid Clara worries her with her wild tricks.

It's wonderful that Grandma's:

1) watch you doing your tricks

2) care so sweetly that you may hurt yourself.

1 comment:

Bald n Beautiful said...

Great Post, but it has been 5 days and I want another one. I went to cheesecake factory and this time got cheese cake. I even went crazy and didn't get the salad. I got a burger with bacon fries and ranch to dip them in, in honor of Laura! Scott even let me spend my 25 banana republic card.