Thursday, October 16, 2008

My Sweeties

A few weeks ago, John told the girls they could take their money and go with him on Saturday to buy a little something. I was picturing a tiny little toy or something. Imagine my absolute delight when they came home each with their very own bag of 80 lollipops. "EIGHTY SUCKERS?" I said to John. I thought I actually stayed very calm but I couldn't help but picture suckers sticks stuck to the carpet and wrappers blanketing the house. "Well, I wanted them to have something they really wanted," said John in a slightly sheepish voice. I have to admit that I did whine a little bit and fussed a little until we finally agreed they could have 3 a day and if I found sticks and wrappers then no suckers the next day. Once I adjusted to the idea we fell into a nice lollipop rhythm. "Mom, I've eaten my breakfast. Can I have my breakfast sucker?" and so on. They are teeny suckers and come in interesting flavors so it hasn't been too bad. I can even say that Grace and Emma have done great things. Sharing with everyone they can think of. Grace made cards taped up with suckers for her friends. Emma has been giving Grace some of her suckers because Grace gave so many away that she's running out a lot quicker than Emma.

One night I was humbled. I had been really rather fussy, whining around and being grouchy. Emma had given me a sucker earlier in the day and then another that night when I was feeling so unamused and not very pleasant to be around. After I went to bed I was cleaning the kitchen still feeling slightly whiney when I found my suckers. They were lined up neatly on the counter next to the stove. I felt a little ashamed but comforted thinking of little Emma, trying to make me "happy" in her way. Sharing her yummy suckers, two in hopes that it would make me feel happy. She's really is a sweet heart and is anxious for me to feel better when I am upset about something. I am making an effort to be a little less fussy!

1 comment: