Saturday, March 28, 2009

I've been thinking about one of my favorite scriptures lately. It has comforted me many times at low points of my life, when I don't feel like I'm doing very well.


Nephi is such an absolutely amazingly righteous guy and yet he still feels like us. Tempted, sinful, wanting to rejoice but feeling bad for his mistakes and sins.

15 Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord; and my heart pondereth them, and writeth them for the learning and the profit of my children.
16 Behold, my soul delighteth in the things of the Lord; and my heart ponderth continually upon the things which I have seen and heard.
17 Nevertheless, notwithstanding the great goodness of the Lord, in showing me his great and marvelous works, my heart exclaimeth: O wretched man that I am! Yea, my heart sorroweth because of my flesh; my soul grieveth because of mine iniquities.
18 I am encompassed about, because of the temptations and the sins which so easily beset me.
19 And when I desire to rejoice, my heart groaneth because of my sins; neverthelss, I know in whom I have trusted.
20 My God hath been my support; he hath led me through mine afflictions in the wilderness; and he hath preserved me upon the waters of the great deep.


And then he talks about how he nevertheless trusts in God.

Read the rest of this scripture by clicking on the link below. I really love the whole thing. It's called the Psalm of Nephi I believe. Starting at about verse 15. I find still find it really comforting and personal.


http://scriptures.lds.org/en/2_ne/4


I also had a little talk with a friend lately about how we compare everyone and ourselves and sort of rate who's doing the best and worst. (Wow, she's doing wonderfully, I wish I was doing that well, but at least I think I'm doing better than that other person over there) When in fact, we are all miles below Christ who was our example of perfection. There is no way we be that perfect using our own strength and determination. Like Nephi we have to trust God. Daily repentance, believing that Christ really has atoned for those sins we repent of.


Sometimes I really need these little reminders of hope! I think we all get down about our weaknessess. I hope it helps you! ; D

No comments: