Wednesday, March 25, 2009

(NOT) Missing it!

I heard of a young mother who actually WORE OUT the knees of her jeans because she was always on the floor playing with her little children. I've noticed ever since that the knees in my jeans are
pretty stiff and new. Never worn.

I've often thought of the line from the movie Hook. Robin Williams the important businessman is on vacation with his children and wife. He can't stop taking his important phone calls so his wife grabs his cell phone and throws it out the window into the snow. She then says something about how their kids are growing up really fast and says "you are MISSING....IT!" The way she says it caught my attention about 20 yeasrs ago when I saw it and I have thought about it ever since. I really feel like I am MISSING ..IT lately.

I laugh because I lately have this feeling that I just don't get enough time with my kids but I am home with them most days 24 hours. You'd think that was enough time. But it's not if you forget to pay attention. It's not if you forget to look at them when they are telling you they love you, right after you were kind of lecturing them or feeling upset. It's not enough time if you spend too much of it on the details of life but not at least a minute or two hugging them and looking into their eyes to see how they are really feeling and what they are thinking. It's definitely not enough time if you spend it all on maintenance and none on fun. I think, lately, I've really haven't spent enough time with my kids.

Today I started to try to live in the moment a little more. I stopped and played with Emma for a little while after she asked me several times. "Mom you can be Thomas Train ok? Ok mom??"


"Mom they can't drive backwards." "You have to do it this way."


I stifled that claustrophobic feeling I always get when Clara keeps grabbing my leg and holding on while I make dinner. Instead I stopped moving and just savored the feeling of a snugly 1 year- old hugging my leg and ankle. I was surprised at how it actually relieved a little stress.



I even listened to Grace working her way through reading a hard Dr. Seuss book, while I was still in my pajamas, longing for a shower at about 11 a.m. I loved it. It was so fun to just watch her for a little while,

no multi-tasking.

focusing,

Not missing it!


I absolutely love this look. When you're playing with your kids and you do something a little shocking (like making the elephant trumpet really loud and run away), and they look like they have no idea how to handle this new situation. Mom trumpeting and an elephant turned naughty and running away?


What do you do?
How do you handle it???



Might be great for their parenting skills years in the future!

1 comment:

Amy E. said...

Jackie...I loved this post. It's a good reminder, even if I don't have kids!